|Type||Animated (2D) Short|
The Modifyers is an animated short created by Chris Reccardi and Lynne Naylor. It was initially a pilot pitched to television giant [Nickelodeon], however, it was rejected by the publisher, despite its positive reviews from critics and audiences, but was because it had a female protagonist and Nickelodeon didn’t want any more female protagonists since none of their programs that featured them became huge hits compared to shows that had male protagonists. It features Agent Xero and her sidekick Mole attempting to thwart the efforts of Baron Vain and his legion of henchmen, such as Rat.
The scene opens as Rat, one of Baron Vain's henchmen, is attempting to steal the All Seeing Eye from the Museum of Odd Stuff. After succeeding, but setting off the alarms in the process, Rat escapes to the sewers, only to be confronted by Lacey Shadows, another one of Baron Vain's henchmen. After a brief altercation, Lacey gets away with the All Seeing Eye and escapes to her airship in a rocket pod. However, Rat uses a grappling hook to stow away on the bottom of the pod.After entering a brief pattern of stupidity which activates the lights, Lacey Shadows is revealed to be Agent Xero, a superheroine who uses her powers to foil Baron Vain's plans. After speaking with Katz, Mole, Xero's sidekick, is ready to return the All Seeing Eye. However, Agent Xero insists that they ask it a question. Due to this insistence and a series of mishaps, Rat is able to get away with the Eye and bring it to Baron Vain's lair.
- Agent Xero (voiced by Mae Whitman) - a master of disguise, she can switch from many forms and uses Mole as a plethora of accessories or props. Agent Xero takes the job seriously, but has a notion of bending the rules slightly. For example, once they secured the All-Seeing Eye, she wanted to hold onto it to answer a question of her own. She, along with her sidekick, Mole work together with Katz to stop Baron Vain's evil plans.
- Lacey Shadows (voiced by Mae Whitman) - The Baron Vain's favorite henchman, and one of the personalities Xero disguises as. Her first of only two appearances is in the drain, along with Rat, taking away "The All-Seeing Eye."
- Mole (voiced by Jeff Bennett) - Agent Xero's sentient robotic sidekick. He and Xero work together with Katz to try and stop Baron Vain's evil plans. He is able to shapeshift into a variety of handheld objects, such as an umbrella and a backpack.
- Katz (voiced by Paul Rugg) - presumably Agent Xero and Mole's boss, as they report to him whenever they have solved another crime.
- Baron Vain (voiced by Paul Rugg) - the main antagonistic force With a legion of henchmen such as Lacey Shadows and Rat, he tries to execute various evil schemes.
- Rat (voiced by Jeff Bennett) - one of Baron Vain's henchmen. He is an insane, maniacal rat.
- Mae Whitman as Agent Xero/Lacey Shadows
- Jeff Bennett as Mole and Rat
- Paul Rugg as Katz and Baron Vain
- The title is a pun on "The Modifiers", referring to Agent Xero's disguises.
- It is obvious that the cartoon's genre is magical girl due to the way Agent Xero/Lacey Shadows transforms and her activation item is a diamond ring.
- It is unknown if the show will come back or not, even though there was launched an online petition to give them their own show. This petition currently has over 5000 supporters.